Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Benched

Those who know me will find it hilarious, or at least funny, that I used a sports term for the title of my post. I'm so not athletic.

So, what do you do with those items that you worked so hard on but they just don't make the cut to give as a gift or to sell?

I finished up this embroidered quote block but screwed up the back. That fabric wrap-around frame was a wee bit tricky for me and this was the first one I tried. (I'm realizing now that I should have taken a photo of the back - I am still trying to think like a blogger!)

Anyway. I suppose I could take it all apart and at least keep the embroidered part. I just loved doing this new stitch - the one in light green:

Oh well, this was so much fun to make, even if it does end up in the craft graveyard. It's all part of the learning process so it doesn't break my heart too much.

What are you learning today?


2 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

I LOVE these, my dear--just included one in a Treasury West treasury last night!

It would be fun to hear about how you're making them--do you draw out your letters before the embroidery? What's on the inside to make it sturdy?

Corinne said...

Thanks Melissa!
Of course I had no clue about Treasury West until you mentioned it. How do you get in on these Etsy secrets? :)
I set the type up in Adobe Illustrator then print it out and add any extras (like the linework inside the letters) then trace it onto the fabric. When it's all done I sew another piece of fabric on the back just so no one has to look at the back side of the embroidery. It might help make it a little stronger too. The fabric "frame" is stretched on there pretty tightly so the tension keeps it flat. I'm probably not explaining this very well. I'll take some pictures when I do the next one. They might make more sense than I am making! Thanks again!