Friday, May 8, 2009

i'm detecting a pattern here

Okay so making up embroidery patterns is way fun. I mean really, people. The only bad part is that I can so easily get carried away. I worked out this pattern and really liked it but as I started stitching, and stitching...and stitching it I wondered if maybe it's just a little..too much! I really did enjoy working on it but I'm just not used to working on patterns that large and that detailed. Even though a quick little project can be so satisfying there is also something to be said for chipping away at something a bit more...epic. (I actually would love to take on something HUGE one day - perhaps when both the boys are in school).

I'm also sharing some photos today of my neighbor's ferns. Happily they are creeping their way under her fence and growing in our yard too so I am claiming some of them too. Every Spring I say I'm going to go take pictures of them as they are uncurling but this is the first in our 7 Springs here that I actually did it.


I think I like this one the best even though it's all wrong in a lot of ways. Look away Kristine, look away!


Doesn't it look like these three are having a conversation or something? Or like the 'mama' fern is scolding her two 'baby' ferns who are hanging their heads in shame? Oh boy, how many readers did I just lose with THAT?

Now that Spring is in full swing does anyone else find themselves thinking an awful lot about Summer? It's heading this way fast!

11 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

Um, those aren't ferns. Those are fiddleheads, my dear! ;-) Yummy.

Corinne said...

Melissa, there is a reason why I stick to growing things like MOSS :D.

Glenda said...

That piece you stitched is beautiful. What type fabric did you stitch on?

Love the photos of the ferns/fiddleheads :). Yes, in the photo of the three of them, they do look like they're having a conversation (and who knows, maybe they were!).

Corinne said...

Thanks Glenda!
I embroidered that piece on linen and almost all of it is two-strand, backstitch. There are some french knots and some satin stitch in there as well. I tried to keep it as simple as possible but would love to try it again some time with more color and a wider variety of stitches.

ellene said...

amazing stitching! I'm in awe of things like that, I rely on my machine so much!
I've also been drooling over the lovely terrariums on etsy, thinking maybe that's a plant I could keep alive :)

Jen G. said...

Loved your embroidery project! Is this a pattern you bought or made yourself?

Corinne said...

Thanks Jen!
I designed that embroidery pattern. I'm not sure which is more fun at this point - designing a pattern or stitching it. I love both :)

Tommye said...

I love whitework. Looks like you've found inspiration in several gardens. It's beautiful.

RE: big projects. I prefer them to small ones, especially band samplers.

tjbdesigns
http://stitchingandbeading.blogspot.com

Patty said...

Thoae ferns/fiddlehead pictures are amazing. And, I love your embroidery. I like how it's all one color on that fabric. Just perfect.

Metanoia said...

I don't think you got carried away with the embroidery. I think it turned out beautiful. I like the look of the flowers/leaves on the far left, though it is hard to see in the first shot.

Kelly said...

Ummm, fiddleheads are indeed ferns.