Friday, May 29, 2009

slowly but surely

I just love these little guys! And I appreciate that they will always stay still long enough for you to get a decent photo of them. We found this one while on a short hike yesterday in one of our favorite local spots, Fontenelle Forest. We were delighted to find all kinds of new areas they had added since the last time we visited including a touch table full stocked with great nature finds like these:
I love that place! Another adventure from this week was Play Doh cookies. This is a recipe we tried last Summer and Peter spent the next 9 months begging to do it again. It is a hit with kids and pretty easy too.

Here's the recipe we use:

3/4 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
assorted colors of food coloring (we used the 'neon' colors from McCormick's)
In a bowl cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms. Divide dough into fourths. Tint each with a different food color. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Dig in and have fun making whatever shapes you want. You can roll it flat and cut it with cookie cutters or just make cookie sculptures. Place cookies 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. ( we had so many different sizes of cookies that I had to leave some in longer than others and take a few out a little earlier) Cool and store in an airtight container.
And yes, I am squeezing in some crafting time here and there. I am working on a set of 3 patterns and I hope to get them listed next week. I am working on my samples which is really fun. In fact, that is probably what I should be doing right now.
What should you be doing right now?


Paige said...

Hi there! First time visiting, and I'm just psyched about those Playdoh cookies - can't wait 'til my day off tomorrow when I can make these with my kids. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ticia said...

We've made these cookies twice now, and they're so yummy.