Thursday, July 23, 2009

the post that almost wasn't*

Mystery solved. Those odd oval thingys from my previous post were actually plaster shapes molded from plastic spoons. We found the project on Family Fun Magazine's website.
We had a lot of fun working on these - especially when I broke out the "sparkle" mod podge. I had a small container of it that came in a mod podge sample pack and I didn't think I would ever use it. It turned out to be just the thing to send this project over the top.

And, either we are tremendously creative or extremely weird but we thought some of these should be painted like eyeballs. I mean they are eye shaped, right?

It is that time of the season when my my flowerbed is so hit or miss. Half of it looks just awful and I'm ready to give up on it for the season. (I didn't snap any photos of that half!). The other half looks just breathtaking. This year I have a patch of zinnias that are causing quite a stir in the neighborhood. Everyone loves them especially me (and the butterflies). I will definitely be growing those every year from now on.

They even inspired a little embroidered number for the shop. I just couldn't help myself. I've also got a new pattern set that is slowly making it's way onto the SeptemberHouse shelves. I was hoping it would be there this week but that just ain't gonna happen. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

* good grief I don't even recall how many times I tried to get this posted but had so many problems with my photos that I had to give it up! Maybe it's blogger, maybe it's my computer I don't know. All I know is how surprised I am that this is being posted at all.

3 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

Ooh, that flower is BEAUTIFUL! You are the cleverest!

Glenda said...

I agree with Melissa, that flower is beautiful -- the blue fabric is a fantastic contrast. And you *are* the cleverest!

Love the plaster creations -- the eyeball is a hoot!

Corinne said...

thanks ladies. Yes, that blue was a bit of stretch for me. As you have probably noticed I lean toward the 'muted' side of the spectrum so this was a little out of my comfort zone. But I have to say, it sure was fun :) Besides there is really no other way to do zinnias besides BRIGHT.