Saturday, August 8, 2009

recent aquisitions

A few lovely items have fallen into my lap lately and I can't help but share a couple of them with you all. I was talking to my mom last week about a children's book that I remember loving when I was a kid. It was just a little book all about, you guessed it, trees. Here is a photo taken in the backyard of their new house so, you know, the subject of trees comes up once in awhile:
Anyway. My mom found it and gave it to me - she's so awesome. And, it's even better than I remembered it.
I don't know what it is that appeals to children about books that categorize, catalog, or organize things but for some reason I just loved looking through this. I also recall a big book of different dog breeds that was a favorite at my grandmother's house. My sisters and I all loved looking through that one. And what is a beloved item with my boys now? It's a book my mother-in-law gave them called "The Ocean Life Dictionary". It's just full of information and illustrations of different kinds of sea life. They adore it. So perhaps instead of adding more great story books to our collection the next time I am book shopping, I should maybe opt for a nice thick non-fiction volume instead.

Additionally I also am now the proud owner of another much-loved treasure from my childhood:
My grandmother recently moved and one of my sisters was helping her pack up some things. These paper dolls surfaced and my grandmother was ready to toss them out when my sister mentioned that she thought I might like to have them. This news shocked my grandmother who could not understand why on earth I would want these. You can understand though, am I right?
I really love paper dolls and I have so many memories of playing with these at my grandparents' house as a kid. I have no idea what on earth I will do with them (any ideas anyone?) but I am glad they live at my house now and not at the dump.
And finally, the bags are packed and the family and I are off for a few days visiting some friends and family. It will be a nice way to kick off the very last week of Summer vacation!
Where will this weekend take you?

4 comments:

Missy Ann said...

I had scads of paper dolls when I was little. I didn't have the set you show, but I know I would've loved them. My favorite set was Miss Piggy, she and her clothes where all stored in a packet that looked like a performer's steamer trunk.

I think the dolls would lovely displayed in a shadow box frame.

Melissa Crowe said...

Ooh--good stuff! Someone recently gave Annabelle a vintage book of cut-out JUDY GARLAND paper dolls, and she DIDN'T WANT THEM, so now they are MINE. So I'm saying I totally get you.

Deb said...

I've just come across your blog and so you've probably found what to do with you dolls. I have mine from when I was a kid and I put it in a picture frame with a couple of outfits next to it. then I popped all the rest of the clothes behind the backing (for safe keeping). It makes me smile when I see it. i could send you a pic if you like.

Heather said...

Oh wow! I had the same set of paper dolls when I was little! I just loved them! You're so lucky to still have them.