Monday, August 17, 2009

so long, summer

Oh my goodness, my house is so quiet. It's just plain weird. I might as well try to squeeze in a little post here while I can. We have recovered from our short jaunt into rural Nebraska. We logged many many miles that looked a lot like this: Some of us got more into it than others.
We had a lot of fun and it was good for us to get away from home and our routine for a little while. Adios Summer Vacation....
Hello first grade!

We always take a photo on the front porch on the first day of school. I usually like the goofy shots better than the posed photos. I feel about 1,000 times better about the school year this time than I did last year when Peter started kindergarten. Last year he just seemed so small in a public school that is so big and this year I think we both feel so much more comfortable. Still, I can't wait to pick him up and see how the day went.
In embroidery news, I was lucky enough to be asked to design and stitch a custom embroidered piece for a wedding so I worked on that a lot this past weekend. I just loved making it and it is so sweet and pretty I can hardly stand to send it away. But since it does have the bride and groom's names on it I expect it wouldn't work in my house all that well. :)

One of the many great things about embroidery is that you can do it while watching tv. Otherwise I just don't know if I could have finished this because "Flight of the Conchords Season 2" on DVD arrived from Netflix this week and I really needed so spend some quality time with Bret and Jemaine. I still have a few episodes to watch while I start stitching Christmas ornaments! I am so excited about working on them. I have been sketching out ideas for a few weeks and am itching to get out my needle and go with it. I need to do some tweaking here and there first though. I hope I'll be sharing those here very soon!
Of course I have plenty of other things on my "to-do" list now that I have a little more quiet time each afternoon:
* Plan 6th birthday party for Peter (oh yeah, and BTW it's this weekend - yikes!)
* Backup my files and delete the megabytes of junk that are clogging up our computer - I hate that job.
* sit myself down and do some research into the healthcare proposals in the House and Senate. This has been nagging at me for quite some time. I really need to get educated about this issue!
* Figure out what I'm going to wear to my sister's wedding in September. One of my sisters is already sewing her dress for the wedding. I'm jealous! I won't be sewing my dress of course but I would love to find an adorable little vintage number on Etsy.
* and finally - TOY PURGE - big time.
What's on your Fall "To-Do" list?


Glenda said...

Love those pics of your son -- the one in the car is so sweet, and the one on the front porch made me laugh outloud :).

I get ALOT of tv series watched while embroidering!!

Putting my fingers in my ears and singing "la la la" re: any reference to Christmas ;-).

The biggest thing on my fall to-do list is to finish painting our kitchen cabinets, and then paint the walls & ceilings in our dining room and living room (and then paint over the paneling in our hall, and then paint our bathroom -- this portion of my to-do list will obviously carry over into 2010!!).

Corinne said...

It's been fun watching the progress of your home renovations on your blog but I'm glad it's you and not me doing all that work! :) How do you have time to embroider??

carolynswafford said...

I love the picture of your son on his first day of school! I always think the goofy ones show their personality so much better and put a smile on your face at the same time.

Your embroidery is so lovely! I bought that teacher pot wrap for my sister-in-law and she really liked it. I love mine, too!

And my fall list: get my act together and get stuff done when I remember to put it on a to-do list! Ha ha...but really, I will have to think about it!