Monday, August 3, 2009

summer sweets

Yep, rock candy. The mysterious blue substance in the jar was rock candy. It took two attempts, then one week to "grow" it and about 1 minute to devour it. I wish I would have taken some good photos of those crystals though because it really was beautiful before it was chomped so mercilessly. I think that will be the last of the summer 'mystery projects'. I have a few more things planned but I don't think they will make it to "So September". Next summer I think I will take a slightly different approach. The activities and projects that Peter seemed to like best were the one that he initiated. We spent a few afternoons making Naruto weapons out of tin foil and electrical tape. Another evening we worked on a wristband/pokemon card holder. These are not things I would have chosen to make but he really had fun and we were able to be creative together and that's all I care about. So next Summer I think we will work on the project book together. Oh, and next summer we will have a two - almost three year old buzzing around as well so he may need his own book of projects by that time.
And these beauties are another 'spare time' project I have going on right now. They are tissue paper flowers for my sister's wedding in September. My other two sisters and I are working together on this and it is a lot of fun.

I'm not putting the bouquets together - my green thumb, farmer girl sister is doing that part - but I will try to get some good shots of the final results when they are complete.
Oh yes, and I also wanted to add a little note about how Peter started playing "Etsy Shop" last week. He named his shop "lows" because he has "low low prices". He sat down and drew a stack of pictures and priced them all without a trace of the hand wringing and brow furrowing that I am plagued with when pricing things. (lucky boy). Then he stood on the porch shouting "pictures for sale!" He made a sale to a neighbor and one to mom of course and was over the moon. Instead of investing his money back into "Lows" however, it was promptly handed over to the ice cream truck folks in exchange for one 'sour wower'. The next morning when he came downstairs the first thing he said to me was "let's do some more business!" The fact that my son plays Etsy shop is either really amusing or really really sad and I am still trying to decide which.


Melissa Crowe said...

He's not playing drug dealer, so cut yourself some slack. ;-) It's definitely amusing--and adorable!

And those flowers are BEAUTIFUL! Where were you when I got married?

Corinne said...

Thanks Melissa,
Yep, I wish I could do my whole wedding over again! I would love to have had a much more 'handmade' affair including flowers like these. Especially if I could have talked my sisters into making them for me ;)