Tuesday, November 10, 2009

snow dinos and sore fingers

What does a little boy who loves dinosaurs do on cold snowy days?
Build snow dinosaurs of course. This little guy was part of a custom ornament I made recently. I am especially in love with the scarf. I have wanted to make something that had chain stitch "knitting" ever since I saw it in a children's book illustration and I finally got my chance.

I just finished a whole batch of ornaments and am working on another group. My fingers are a little sore and my eyes a little tired but I am still loving it. What keeps me stitching at all hours these days? I think it's a combination of love for embroidery, my kids' Halloween candy (don't tell), Pandora, and a LOT of coffee. My 5 month old coffee maker even bit the dust this week (over-use perhaps?) So if anyone can tell me exactly how much money I need to spend to get a dependable and durable coffee maker I would appreciate it!

Even though the ornaments are keeping me busy I still want to make sure I pop in here once in awhile. I am working on a post about stitching text so look for that soon.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

The snow dinosaur is just perfect. Great idea, adorably rendered.

Wish I could help you on the coffee maker (5 months? Not fair!), but I'm more of a Diet Pepsi kind of girl. I hope you have some luck in finding one that lasts!

Melissa Crowe said...

Love the chain stitch knitting--and boy, that book looks familiar! Also looking forward to the stitching text post. I'm totally just winging it over here.

Karin said...

It's adorable. And that scarf, it's perfect. Very cute!

kt_kthx said...

I love those ornaments! Great idea!

Becky said...

Snow Dinosaur is adorable! Great job!

Pandora is wonderful isn't it? I heard lots of artists I don't think I had before.

Can't go wrong with a Mr. Coffee (unless that's the brand that just broke!) I saw a small, "personal" size one at Wal-Mart the other day. Less than $20 if I recall correctly.

Glenda said...

Love the snow dinosaur!! Full of adorableness :).

Not a coffee drinker, so no help there, sorry!

Stitching text -- Mary at Needle-n-Thread is currently doing a pretty intensive "stitching text" tutorial series. Not sure if what you had in mind is similar, but here's a link to it if you haven't seen it already: http://www.needlenthread.com/labels/hand%20embroidered%20lettering.html

Corinne said...

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

Becky - I think Mr. Coffee may be the way to go - I had one ages ago and it lasted a LONG time. thank you!

Glenda - I didn't know about the series over at needlenthread. Man she does beautiful work - and her instructions are so clear and detailed. My little blurb won't be nearly as good but I'll post it anyway. It's actually going to focus a little more on setting up the text rather than actually stitching it. I hope it will be helpful. :)

Glenda said...

I bet it will be helpful :). Text is a challenge from beginning to end, for me!

Jenny said...

Too cute, great job as always! I can't wait for your post about stitching text ... thanks for sharing!!!

Claudia said...

Hi, Corinne!
I´m a Brazilian crafter and I just LOVE your blog and, of course, your free patterns!! :)
I´ve embroidered the little elephant to my nephew´s bedroom. I´d like to thank you for sharing this gorgeous pattern and invite you to take a look at it. Here is the link:
http://linhasimaginarias.blogspot.com/2009/11/azul.html
Best regards,
Claudia