Tuesday, December 1, 2009

beware the siren song

Oh silver floss you look so tempting and enticing sitting there on the fabric store shelf. Your sparkle calls "stitch me, stitch me". Who can resist? But then...
You shred when threaded in my needle, you snarl up and crumple in impossible knots mid-stitch. You evoke a string of vile words from the mouths of otherwise docile embroiderers. You are kind of evil you are.
I did tame this beast eventually but it was not easy. It turned out very pretty but I had to take it at a snail's pace to get it to cooperate. Has anyone had any luck with this stuff? Anyone??

Enough complaining from me. I also wanted to share a photo of the back of one of my ornaments to show how I finish them off. Emily had asked about it in my last post so I thought I would go ahead and share a bit more about that.

I use an acid free glue and brush it along the inside rim of the hoop then just wrap the fabric around the back. It's pretty easy and really holds so I am pretty happy with that method.
On the holiday front I...
1. am excited about Christmas
2. need to start shopping/making
3. am feeling a crazy powerful urge to ORGANIZE even though I think January is the time to do that - anyone else feeling that too?
4. wish I had been on the ball enough to participate in the Sew Mama Sew Giveaway day tomorrow. Don't forget to check it out though, I know I'm going to. Good luck!

17 comments:

Crafty Cripple said...

What you need is http://www.threadheaven.com/. This stuff works wonders. You also need to use quite short lengths so they don't knot up.

Good luck!

Caitlin said...

I bought some metallic floss and it was the worst. So is the floss with a really pretty sheen. They're so tempting, but so so so difficult to stitch with!

Melissa Crowe said...

I tried the goldish color of the shiny stuff and had a hard time with it, too.

kt_kthx said...

I wonder if waxing the silver floss will help at all? I'll give it a shot sometime. Good luck!

I'm Kt, by the way! I love your blog.

Average Jane Crafter said...

yep - that stuff drives me batty for all the reasons you posted here. I didn't think to try the Thread Heaven (smacks forehead ;)

And thanks for the look at how you finish off the ornaments on the back. Do you trim your fabric closely before gluing, or after?

Thanks!
Rach

Corinne said...

Okay, I won't throw the rest of my silver floss out the window - I will try the thread heaven instead. :D Thank you for the suggestion!

Emily said...

Thanks so much for the pic of the back, Corinne! Very helpful! I really do love your blog! Fingers crossed for the giveaway at Sew Mama Sew! :)

Glenda said...

I can't find Thread Heaven locally and never remember to buy any off the internet; I run the metallic floss through quilting wax and that works okay, and I agree about working with short lengths.

Silver Sisters said...

I've had similar troubles with two different brands of silver floss. I did find that knotting both ends together like how we used to sew when we were kids so that the needle didn't fall off the thread really helps. Silver is pretty tempting, isn't it, especially for Christmas ornaments. You know what's the worst, though? French knots. Don't even try it.

Carrie said...

i'm glad to know I'm not the only one. misery loves company.

Lara said...

Happy to find i am not alone :)

Lovely blog lovely works

Knit - R - Done said...

I use thread heaven on metallic, wool, and rayon threads. I also use beeswax, but only if I'm going to wash the item before finishing.

Corinne said...

Okay so, I have ordered the Thread Heaven and picked up an extra one for one lucky reader - stay tuned...there will be a giveaway :)

Little Treasures said...

Just to let you know that you have a fellow sufferer. I am embroidering a velvet belt (imagine the doubled frustration) with silver floss but yours is pure heaven compared to mine. At least it lokks as such from your photo. I've chosen such a floss words cannot describe. But stubborn that I am I will complete the belt no matter how long it'll take.

手機 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JigsawJones said...

I just found your blog through another blogger, and I love it!! And this may be a very obvious suggestion, but I use a bigger embroidery needle when I use metallic thread- that way, the hole is bigger and the thread goes through more smoothly. As for threading the needle, if that was the main problem you had, I dunno. I ran myself plumb outta cuss words trying to thread that stuff.

tiendas eroticas said...

Pretty helpful data, lots of thanks for your post.