Saturday, April 3, 2010

time machine

It's been all about the calendars here at my house lately. It wouldn't seem like too big a job to have some numbers printed onto fabric, right? That's what I thought last year and this year and have proven wrong each time. There's the deciding on a font and a size and the amount of grey in your grey scale. Then there's the checking and re-checking and re-checking of dates (I'm super paranoid about this!). Oh, and the re-checking of dates again. Then there's the having them printed and deciding you want to make more changes and so on. It certainly doesn't need to be as complicated as I make it but I can't help myself. So here is my finished example for the large size panel. How much do you love the doily flowers? I know doilies are kind of trendy right now and I try not to just blindly follow these things along but this is a trend that I really like. I found this little bunch at this etsy shop and I may just be back for more.
The look I was going for here was CHEERFUL! Positive! fun! (the ribbon text reads, "every single day new possibilities bloom" - it hardly gets more positive than that, right?) I think it turned out kind of cute but Vince particularly dislikes it. I am telling myself that he just doesn't like it because he's a boy. I mean, that's it, right? Oh who cares! okay, i do just a little.

And I finished up the smaller panel too. The text printed on the twill tape reads, "Beyond the high mountains and the dark forests, Beyond the rivers and the blue seas" and it's the first line from the book.
Have you had a chance to try printing on twill tape? Here are some simple instructions if you want to give it a go. I was a little nervous about it as I hadn't tried it with the printer I have now but it worked like a dream I'm happy to say. Oh and how 'bout that grommet at the top? I just picked up a grommet/eyelet setter (1/2 price at JoAnn's - yay!) and I think that is going to be a lot of fun.
So, I still have a little tweaking to do here and there but then they should be ready to hit the SeptemberHouse shelves. hooray!

12 comments:

Kaye Prince said...

Love the calenders! And thanks for the link to the doilies on Etsy. I actually bought a bunch of doilies for .10 each recently and have been wanting to try dying them myself, but this shop looks to like a great alternative (or if mine don' turn out the way I'd like)!

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Hi, delurking to say I've really been enjoying your blog, your pictures are wonderful.

I don't like doilies or anything crochet usually, but I do like you flowers on the calendar! Of course it probably helps that you put a green polka binding on it, cos green with dots - can't beat it!

I have lots of ideas for things with embroidered text floating around inside my head. But I worry about the stitches being neat enough/words being legible. Perhaps the twill tape thing will work - off to read about it! Thanks.

Cheers,
AJ

Corinne said...

I thought about trying to find some doilies and dye them myself but got intimidated and just bought mine instead. :) I love the idea of customizing the colors though. Let me know how it turns out if you try it, I would love to hear about it!

Melissa Crowe said...

Beautiful! I think the border and fabric triangles at the bottom are my favorite part!

Glenda said...

What a cute idea to use the doilies to make flowers! I love how colorful those doilies are.

You've finished both calendars off very nicely.

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [03 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

letsmakesomething said...

I think the doilies look fantastic! The colors are especially nice, I would love to have that hanging in my house!

heather said...

Oh my goodness!! I love your large calendar example!! So bright and cheery and fun! yep, might have to "be inspired by" your sample! :-)

ellene mcclay said...

yay! I've been buying so many doilies lately, and used a bunch on the dresses for the runway show. The response was great!
I bought some dyed doily trim for slip skirts this summer too, I'll have to check if it was the same seller.
We are trying to plan a craft nite for april a bit sooner than we did last month, hope to see you soon!

RosaMarĂ­a said...

those are so beautiful!!!!! i want to embroidery!!!

jody mcdowell said...

wow.. those calanders are seriously impressive! what an awesome looking (and so practical) craft to make!

kerrykatiecakeskeb43 said...

I LOVE the doily flowers - what a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Kerry