Tuesday, July 6, 2010

tis the season to be stitching

It's early, I know but the 'festive flock' have landed at SeptemberHouse nonetheless. I figure even if people aren't Christmas shopping just yet they may be starting to think about Christmas crafting so I let myself get started on this pattern set that has actually been in my head for a while now. This partridge has been pecking at my brain the longest waiting to be let free. I love how this pear turned out! I used one strand each of two shades of yellow/gold and did a chain stitch around and around the inside until it was filled. I will absolutely be trying that again sometime.
This is actually cardinal number two. The first one I sketched and stitched - and re-stitched - did not make the cut (thanks Vince for telling me the truth about that one!) When we were in high school (yes, we went to high school together) our school mascot was a cardinal so perhaps some of my not-so-great memories of those years crept into my stitches the first time around. Hopefully those demons have been properly exorcised!

And finally there is the sweet little dove taking flight. I would love to stitch this one up on some navy blue linen. In hindsight I wish I would have done that for my example, I think it would have been a bit more striking. I have to get over my addiction to that natural linen - it's just my favorite right now is all.
And yes, there are ornaments in the works as well. I have NOT, however, started playing Christmas music at my house yet, I swear!

9 comments:

Christie said...

Such lovely patterns! They work so well with the natural linen. I am especially fond of the dove.

The temperature here in Southern Ontario is 36C/97F degrees with the humidity -- so a nod to the cooler weather to come is fine by me!

RosaMaría said...

wow! those are so pretty!!

Rosali said...

Sus aves son muy bonitas.

Maria said...

These are adorable, I just bought a copy of them and I will use them in ornaments for my handmade Christmas. Thank you!

La Mañosa said...

These are gorgeous designs! I'm putting them on my wish list!

Corinne said...

Thanks everybody! I'm relieved to hear that my injecting Christmas into July hasn't driven everyone away - I know that can be a tad bit annoying.

Glenda said...

Oh, Corinne, you stitched those SO beautifully!! I especially love how the partridge & pear turned out - gorgeous colors against the natural linen, and the chain stitch as a fill stitch makes for fantastic texture.

I bought the patterns (it's never too soon to think about the holidays!) and have a whole slew of 4" hoops leftover from last Christmas that are just waiting to be used :).

Widge said...

love these!! wow you are clever

Kimara said...

These are so lovely. I'll be linking to them on WeeFolkArt.com's Facebook page.