Friday, October 8, 2010

hand me downs

Do you know what happens when a stash of embroidery supplies gets handed over to someone who doesn't embroider and then it gets passed on like a hot potato to someone else who does not embroider (and so on and so on). It eventually will find the hands of someone who does embroider and this time it was me. My mom handed me this huge bag stuffed with floss, hoops and patterns the other day, much to my delight. I haven't even looked through it all yet because I have been, well, you know, busy. But I can't wait to discover all the treasures here. I did spy this adorable pattern set in the mix.
And I do know some people who are big fans of owls so... the wheels are spinning.
And then -

My mom also gifted me this amazing crocheted bedspread. I have tucked away but was sure to get a quick shot of one bit of it to share here. She says she isn't 100% sure who made it but she knows it was either her grandmother or her great-grandmother. W-O-W. Needless to say I was beyond thrilled to have this handed down to me and now I'm just not sure what to do with it. I want to use it but, geez, if anything happened to it I would be crushed. What do you all think - use the heirlooms or pack them away for safe-keeping?

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

How lucky you are! And as far as the heirlooms go - use them! I'm sure that they would have wanted them used instead of tucked away.

Megs said...

Use it! That's what these things are made for. Take some nice keepsake pictures then put it in use! Bad things can happen even to items in storage (as I've painfully learned), so it's better to love them a lot and take some risk than tuck them away and possibly lose them anyway without any daily memories. And if something bad happens - a nasty stain/a bad snag/etc remember you could always salvage what's left into a beautiful pillow or some other lovely project. What a lovely gift, I hope you enjoy it. :)

Cerise said...

Lucky girl! I have those owls...haven't figured out exactly what to do with them yet, but I love them. :o)
I say use it...or if you can't bring yourself to use it at least find a place to display it. It's too beautiful to hide away.

Amanda said...

Heaven 17! You lucky thing! Enjoy. XXXX

Samantha said...

Use it! I would probably fold it up and have it at the end of my bed rather than all over my bed, but I have two dogs that would ruin it rather quickly that way. :) Ultimately - use it and love it!

Glenda said...

The crocheted bedspread is fabulous!!

I agree with everyone else: use it!!

You could, perhaps, sew it to a duvet cover, which would allow you to use the bedspread without worrying about it getting stretched out or distorted.

Jovita said...

Oh wow! the owls .. I would love to do a set of redwork owl kitchen towels for my mother-in-law! If you feel like sharing the patterns ... please let me know :)

Corinne said...

Okay, you all are so right. I mean, I make all kinds of things and if I thought all those things were just packed up in people's attics and basements I would be really sad. When I think about it that way it makes perfect sense. Thanks for your insights everybody!