Friday, November 12, 2010

geeeeezzzzz

I swear I just have a sixth sense about these things. Do you know what this is? It's a jinxed Christmas ornament. Jinxed I tell ya. It's weird and you all might think I'm crazy but sometimes I just get a sense when starting something that it's going to go wrong. This was one of those projects.

1. I ironed my interfacing to my press cloth instead of my fabric
2. I stitched more than half the letters before I realized I was stitching them in the wrong color
3. As I am stitching along I keep thinking "hmmm...this stabilizer seems so brittle and weird. Maybe I ironed it for too long or maybe it's too old or something. Still I continue to stitch and then it hits me.
That's not stabilizer, that's "wonder under". crap. They look pretty similar sitting there next to each other and I obviously grabbed the wrong one, traced my pattern onto it, ironed it onto my fabric and started stitching. I can't believe how long it took for it to dawn on me. ugh.

I clicked a photo before it went in the trash so I could give you all a good laugh today. Weird how I'm pychic though, eh?

Better get back to my 'do-over'. Have a great weekend everyone!

11 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Well yes, it was funny - but only because we've all been there!

I love your interfaced press cloth though.

I'm glad you posted this, been wanting to ask if you could do a post about some of the mechanics of embroidery - interfacing, stabiliser, marking tools - removing marks!, that sort of thing?

Your embroideries are really lovely, so clearly you know stuff!

Two fabrics I particularly wanted to know how/when to interface... quilt weight cotton, such as Kona solids or Moda Bella and Kaufman Essex, the linen/cotton blend.

Crossing my fingers for a future post and wishing you a better day tomorrow!

Cheers,
AJ

two hippos said...

ahh, we all have days like that! have a great weekend:D

Megs said...

UGH. Sounds so frustrating. Glad you found some humor in the situation and hope "take two" goes super smooth.
(and I, too, would love to a post on the mechanics of embroidery. I've tried it a few times, but it comes out looking like a kindergardener did it. haha)

Glenda said...

Ah, rat snacks :(. That's so very frustrating.

I look forward to seeing the do-over!

Corinne said...

Thanks ladies :)

You should know that I probably make embroidery a lot more complicated than it really needs to be but I will put together a little show and tell about the process I use and share that here.

NanaBeast said...

Perfect timing for a show and tell. I was JUST going to email you and ask which brand of stabilizer you use - when not inadvertantly using Wonder Under that is!

Really looking forward to it before my third attempt at the Indian Spice piece.

Corinne said...

I use Sulky brand Iron-on tear away stabilizer. I love that stuff. Sometimes I use the lightweight "tear-easy" kind if it's a fabric I can't iron on (like fleece ;). Sulky makes a water-soluable kind too but I haven't tried it. I tried a different brand of water soluable product but wasn't 100% thrilled about the results. I need to try that again sometime though. Hope that helps :)

kt_kthx said...

You must have had something pretty important on your mind! We all have those kind of days, sometimes they are a blessing in disguise. Maybe it's a sign for you?

NanaBeast said...

Thanks Corrine, that most definitely helps. I am ordering some Sulky today.

Anna said...

ha, love hearing about mis-steps. :) I've had plenty. I just wanted to say hi, just found your shop and blog today. Love that you're not too far away either, I'm near La Crosse, WI. :)

Anonymous said...

Corinne,
Thank you for the tip on Sulky. LOVE it! I used the tear away but I have also purchased the iron on and I will use that next.
- Sam