Friday, December 31, 2010

thoughts on the new year

Here's what I am not interested in - fooling myself. The wisdom that all 37 of my years has given me tells me that making a big intimidating resolution as you start the new year is almost always a recipe for disappointment. I for one don't want that kind of pressure right out of the gate. (there's always room for and need for personal improvement of course - but on January 1st??). I believe in resolutions, don't get me wrong, I just think they should be FUN. Why not start the new year in a positive and exciting way rather than with a big sigh and a "well, here goes nothin'".
So, this year I am resolving to wear more lipstick. If I wear lipstick 4 times in 2011 it will already be more times than I wore it in 2010 so I think I am setting myself up for success here, folks. I might as well just admit to everyone right here and now that I tend to lean toward the mousy/frumpy side and my years as a stay-at-home mom have not helped me in this department. I'll never be a glamour girl or anything like that but I think a touch of color might do me good. And Vince is on board with this resolution 100% - imagine that. I am excited about this and many other possibilities that 2011 will bring. I hope it will be especially good to all of you as well!

Happy New Year!

8 comments:

wenders said...

i am totally on board with your approach! best of luck!

Anita said...

I like that! If I wore lipstick two times in 2011 it would be a record year for me as well.

Happy New Year!

Glenda said...

I'm not a fan of resolutions, myself, but I like having goals, and if I can't find a way to make them fun then they definitely won't happen.

I've converted from lipstick to lip gloss =). I don't wear makeup often because it causes my face to break out, but I enjoy it when I wear it!

allthingsjuice said...

I just started a post about resolutions that is very similar to your train of thought. Last year I resolved to make address labels for all my Christmas cards. Sounds piddly, but I achieved it and was much happier for doing it. I think your lipstick goal is admirable!

Rory said...

That's a lovely shade!

Corinne said...

Thanks everyone. So far in 2011 I have worn lipstick ONCE! Maybe I'll try again today even though I would be more comfortable sticking with my good 'ol cherry chapstick :)

catherine said...

Hello,
I think not wearing lipstick is better for you than you might think. First, you are a female role model for your child(ren). Why do women wear makeup while most men do not? Second, makeup has ingredients you would not include in your diet, your spouse's or your children's.
Check out this database to see what your products contain. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?maincat=makeup

and this one specifically about lipstick.
http://www.ewg.org/news/lipstick-leaded-or-unleaded

I would consider yourself lucky to have avoided some of these ingredients for so many years!
Almost six years makeup free. Somedays are harder than others, I must admit.

Jemellia said...

Good luck with your goal. I completely agree with Catherine, though. You can be a glamour girl without makeup, it's all in how you feel! There's nothing wrong with being mousey, either. I never wear makeup and I really don't care to ever do it!