Saturday, January 15, 2011

latest loves for crafty kids

Even if I haven't been particularly crafty this week some people in our household have been. It's true, we have been spending a lot of time indoors lately. So, our idle hands have been itching to get messy with some creative project or another. Today, I'm sharing some of my favorite goodies from my bag of mommy tricks. First up are these paintbrushes from Crayola. (Rose Art makes a similar set as well). Why oh why were there only two choices of brushes for kids for decades?? You could have toddler fat brushes or wimpy 5 stranders and that was IT. Finally there are some better options for kids - brushes more like real artist brushes but durable enough for little ones. I love it!
Next are the MacCormick NEON food colors. These are so much fun. We used them here to make play doh. With some experimenting you can get a gorgeous mustard yellow, or a sapphire blue and everything in between. They also have a handy color mixing chart on the back so you can make colors like "apricot" and "stormy blue" (I used 'stormy blue' frosting to write words on a chocolate frosted cake once - beautiful!). I may never buy the regular food coloring again.

And finally, my handy dandy flower punch. Adam is in love with this thing! Because these handles squeeze together he can really go to town with it even with his cute chubby three-year old hands. We tend to find paper flowers all over the floor now, but there are worse things, are there not? This will even buy me some time now and then when I need to send a quick email so, double points there.
What crafty trinkets are your kids loving these days?

7 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

We're huge on paper clay around here. And Annabelle can be entertained for hours with my bag of scraps, a little fiber fill, and a needle and thread. She's been making the most beautiful little stuffed creatures.

lisa said...

...embroidery thread, blunt needles, felt, Ed Emberley's thumbprint book and a set of ink pads, fresh notebooks with colored pencils on the side....

Corinne said...

Okay I have to try the paperclay. I've read so much about it lately and everyone says good things so it must be a winner. And Lisa, I actually have one of the Ed Emberley books and I totally forgot about it! I'm so glad you mentioned that - I will be digging that back out again :)

Jackie said...

The handy dandy flower punch is really cute. I hadn't seen one before so will keep a look out now I know they exist!

Colleen said...

My 4yr old loves this too! We made really simple valentines for a preschool party by punching these flowers and hearts, then gluing the hearts on one side, and hot gluing Dove heart chocolates to the other. The glue was one of those super-low-temp glue guns, and I was really careful about adhering to only the foil. Just to be sure, I had to try a few out...Ahem.

Mary Jo said...

Oooo! A flower punch! Does it work on felt? I've been looking for something like this! Can you tell me who makes it?
Thanks!!
PS: Love your blog!
maryjowyse@yahoo.com

Corinne said...

Sorry I am so slow in responding here. The punch is made by Fiskers. I usally try to pick them up when they go on sale at JoAnn's or I have a 40%off coupon. Both happen frequently I'm happy to say. I have only been able to get it to work on paper though :(.