Monday, February 21, 2011

how to fill a day

good grief snow snow and more snow! Don't worry, I wasn't foolish enough to think that last week's forty degree days meant that Spring had arrived but it is still hard to take when we get dumped on like this again. ( I don't know the official inch count but it is DEEP). Besides, just in case Mother Nature starts to try to trick me I have a reminder in our kitchen that I faithfully update every morning.

So, it was presidents and not snow that kept Peter home from school today even though it felt very much like a snow day. It seemed like everyone was bored from the minute they woke up but with a little effort we have been chugging through it.

We drew and drew and drew. I admit that I did not opt for monsters myself. Peter loved sketching some of these creepy creatures. I try to steer away from "how to draw" books in general (although there are a few good ones out there that I like - I might have to post about those another time). This one came from the library though so I'm not too worried about screwing up his art instruction with something that has to be returned next week.

An eclectic mix of favorite tunes was on hand. This is essential in my opinion for surviving both the long winter months and the parenting of young children. Does anything else pull you out of the day to day and remind you of who you are more than music? Oh and it's FUN. Yep, it's a must for me.

We played school and wouldn'tcha know it, it was picture day. All the 'students' looked so cute and sat so still for the photographer.

And of course we had to have 'rest time.' I love school.
How did you fill your day?

3 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

We read loads about Lincoln, and Annabelle tried to make a corset with built-in breasts for her doll, but they turned out too large, and she was mad. I gave her the speech about how all art is an experiment, and some experiments fail, but she didn't seem very moved by my wisdom. ;-)

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [22 Feb 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Corinne said...

Melissa you are so right - it's our mistakes and not our successes that make us better artists. :)

And now I think I should insert some clever quip about corsets and breasts that are too big BUT...I'll let someone else do that - still I'm giggling a bit over here in a jr. high kind of way.