Friday, February 4, 2011

picking and choosing

I’m officially cutting loose from Facebook this week. If you are/were connected to me over there then you might already know this. I didn’t think it seemed right to just up and disappear but I also am not sure I should go into a big boring explanation about it either. Facebook never felt right to me and what does feel right is to let it go. I hesitated on this for a long time because there are some good reasons to stay. I love seeing friends’ baby pictures, what people are crafting, stories from my favorite news sources and photographs of Yosemite National Park. But, although it will take more effort on my part, I can still access all of this without Facebook.

Part of my reasoning also has to do with sheer information overload. Honestly, sometimes it really is all too much for me and I know I have to walk away from it, as hard as that can be. For example, if you are on Etsy you are probably aware of their new Activity Feed feature. It informs you of all the activity that has taken place in your shop or the shops in ‘your circle’ since you last visited Etsy. It’s not as though this information wasn’t available before, you just had to seek it out. To be honest though, this feature probably does more to take away from my creative time (and therefore my shop) than it does to help me run it successfully.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of these things are fun and I am glad I have the choice to use them. I don’t have to use them, I know. Willpower, time management, and good old-fashioned common sense can go a long way in navigating through all the information available online. And sadly, I wish I had more of those things. It’s so hard to not feel as though you are missing out on something when you opt out of things but for me personally, I have to do it. But, hey, I won’t know what I’m missing anyway, right?

So, there is part of my reasoning. The rest I’ll save for another day. This is one of many steps I need to take to de-clutter my brain from all it takes in online. If anyone else is struggling with this please share your insights and techniques for dealing with some of the challenges that come along with having so much information at our fingertips. Then we’ll all get off our computers and play outside, okay?

Thank you to everyone who 'liked' me or 'friended' me on Facebook during my stay there. I truly appreciate it!

10 comments:

Rachael said...

I've been trying to spend less time online as well. There really is an information overload going on and I find myself struggling with it all the time. I try to limit my time on my phone and computer, but its hard when my job involves me being on it 8 hours a day. I've made the bedroom a no phone/computer zone and i try to just check facebook in the morning and maybe once at night. It's tough though! I can't wait until it gets warm so i can go play outside!

Melissa Crowe said...

Very wise move, my dear. I admire you. I've considered "quitting" FB several times recently but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I keep feeling like all my friends and family will be having a party there without me in perpetuity. Dopey, I know. I admired your ability to actually do something (hard) to improve the quality of your life. Go, girl!

http://panenka.squarespace.com said...

What @Melissa says about having a party in perpetuity is exactly the feeling. December wasn't particularly good for me and pictures of everyone partying kept popping. Then I read this article: DOES FACEBOOK MAKE YOU SAD ? http://www.slate.com/id/2282620/
It gave me something important to ponder. That one one side. The other which is the one you mention, is about how the colossal amount of information has permeated our everyday life. I've disciplined myself to reading my Google Reader, checking FB, Tweeter and my selected info pages just before breakfast and then early in the evening. This way I protect the rest of my creative day.

Jovita said...

Amen sister! I'm getting there too ... just can't decide how / when to do it. But I'm about to do something similar to Melissa and give myself x amount of time each day to read blogs / facebook. What I don't / can't get done in that time is just too darned bad. Protecting our creative time and minds is just too important.

ragamuffin yogini said...

I gave facebook a month to contribute something meaningful to my life or enrich it in some way that I couldn't get anywhere else. In that month, I made folks aware that I was leaving in a month...only two people seemed sad to see me go. My biggest complaint was that it always seemed so superficial and ultimately I didn't care who went to the dentist that day or started a grease fire in their kitchen, but once I logged on I HAD to read on and on and on.....it took too much and gave back too little. It's been a month and I don't miss it....you won't either!

Kathryn said...

I agree. Other than family members, I don't accept offers ofr friendship.. Then I only check it once a week or so.

thebeehive said...

I quit FB a few months back and only felt a little remorse, but it was taking up too much of my time. I've read the advice about FB and other social media sites being a priority for business success, especially in the craft industry, but it was killing my craft-ing time! It's hard enough taking photos of my work, listing, renewing, writing descriptions, blogging, raising a 2 yr old, and I just had to put a halt to a thing or two. Once I got caught up in the friend my shop I'll friend yours, I knew it was going to kill my offline time. I recently signed up for a new account, under a new email address so I wouldn't be tempted by the notifications of new adds, etc., only check this one maybe once a month. It's mostly for friends/family back home, and is set to the highest privacy settings so I'm not inundated with requests. Sometimes you just have to blaze your own path.

Corinne said...

I have so enjoyed reading these comments - thank you so much for sharing your insights everyone.

So far I am enjoying having one less 'thing' to check/read online but I do have that 'what am I missing?' feeling. Maybe that will fade over time?

darkcargo.com said...

Ugh. Facebook is awful. I feel like I have no privacy. All these people from the dark depths of my younger life have surfaced and claim to miss me so much, all these fifteen years! Sure. I agree about the too much information. You went to the bar. You ordered a beer. The beer has arrived. You're drinking the beer. I read these and think "WHY am I wasting my life reading about somebody ordering a pint?"

Anyhow, I keep the account open but put zero personal information on it. I do receive personal messages sent to me from FB users who are actually trying to contact me. These show up in my email, and that works out just great!

Blogs are one thing, and I find them useful and fun. FB is garbage, I think.

Crooked Sister said...

I am still on Facebook but I pretty much gave up on twitter. Talk about information overload! I enjoyed it a little bit and then realized there was just too much info to process and it was eating into what mattered most to me: my creative time.
Kudos to you for quitting.