Wednesday, February 9, 2011

to my shock and horror...

Okay, so here is what I didn't know. That spammers will now invade your comment section on your blog. Yep, didn't know that. So I was slightly horrified when I looked through some old posts of mine recently and found what are essentially ads for several well known prescription drugs.
The nerve! And I also might add - do they really think they are going to sell anything that way?
So I did a little surfing and found this helpful article and also learned more about the comment settings on blogger. I didn't even know about the spam filtering features but when I looked at what Blogger had blocked right here on So September I was amazed at how many attempts were made to turn my happy little blog into a pretty little pharmacy. Needless to say, I am glad that blogger has added this feature.
On a final (but most important) note I just wanted to apologize to anyone who had to wade through this garbage in some of my previous comment sections. I swear I didn't know it was there and I hope we all never see it again!


susan said...

It really is insidious, isn't it? For those who might be running Wordpress, Akismet ( is a spam blocker that rocks. On my non-craft blog, Akismet has blocked more than 16,000 spam comments in the past 60 days alone. Crazy!

I'm running Akismet on my craft blog, too, but that blog is so new that it hasn't had any real visitors yet let alone spammers. :)

Glenda said...

I use Wordpress & have it set up so I receive an email notification every time someone posts a comment. I also have it set up to require me to approve any message with a link in it, and spam has been caught that way. I think I also have my comments set up to not accept comments on posts that are older than a certain period of time.

And, of course, there's the handy-dandy spam blocker!

In spite of all that, I will still have a spam sneak through once in a while, but since I receive the email notification for every comment I'm able to delete those PDQ =).