Monday, March 14, 2011

stitches for smarties

Oh yes, now I remember this feeling - the excitement that comes with the premiere of a new pattern set! You see, it's been quite some time since I have been in this place and believe me, it's great to be back. Without further bemoaning of my recent lack of production let me introduce "Booksmart!" Booksmart is the set I started after giving up on the flowery set I had been focusing on. It was so refreshing to switch gears and work on these designs.
I also let myself experiment a little with these and tried a few new filling techniques like this one.

I could only do this because I was using a woven fabric like linen so I was able to count my teeny tiny fibers and keep everything uniform. I really love the subtle look of this but wow - I think my eyeballs almost popped out of my head working on this. This technique is NOT for anyone who doesn't like to squint or who doesn't have a good work lamp.

I also finally broke out my Weeks Dyeworks floss for this project. It's been sitting patiently in my flossbox for months just waiting for me to pick the right project. I used their "bark" colored floss for the outlines and loved it! The color is gorgeous on natural linen - just the right shade of chocolatey charcoal - sounds delicious doesn't it?

I let myself play a little bit with this stack of books too and did some different fill stitches as I went along.
And then came the braided rug. I tricked you when I hinted at this in my earlier post - don't be mad, please. This is about as big a rug as I would ever attempt.

And finally there is the happy little library. I usually just hoop up my examples but this time I wanted to actually make something with one of them so I made a library book totebag. The bad thing is that as soon as I was done snapping my photos it was quickly snatched up by little Adam who had fallen in love with it. Now it's probably filled with hot wheels cars, stuffed animals and crayons and I will never see it again. *sigh*

20 comments:

PickleLady said...

This set is beautiful! I LOVE those tiny stitches on linen. I'd never have the patience to stitch up such detail!

Lacer said...

Oh what a totally gorgeous set!

Crooked Sister said...

I love your wrong and am so jealous of your new fill stitch. I'm starting to work with linen fabrics so I may need to give it a try.

Did you us multicolor thread for your rug? It really adds to the texture.

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Your stitching is just soooooo beautiful. I'm in awe.

Please, please (x gazillionty) could you find time to write a wee series on the technical aspects of your stitching, particularly the weights of fabric, prewashing/starch and what kind, if any, stabilisers/interfacings you use?

Love the green bag and it's great your wee chap liked it even with the flowery lining!

Cheers,
AJ

Miss Paula said...

Is it possible just to purchase the girl carrying the books pattern?

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the cool hoops for the boy reading and the girl carrying the books?!?! I love them!

Anonymous said...

I *love* the fill stitching on the boy-with-book embroidery, especially the fill stitching on the chair -- it looks very much like fabric!

And the braided rug? TOTALLY up my alley!! The stitching is gorgeous on it, and on that whole embroidery as well.

I bet it does feel good to have a new pattern set out!

Glenda

Ursula said...

These patterns are just incredible. I can't believe how much style is contained in such simple lines. I'm off to buy my set now...

Corinne said...

I am so grateful for so many kind words about these patterns - thank you!

Regarding the rug: yes, I used multicolored floss - one strand in the brown and two in a different color (changing colors throughout). I was worried that it would look like a muddled mess doing it that way but I think it turned out okay. If I was doing it again I might used fewer colors.

Regarding hoops: Thrift shops! I have "scouts" (i.e. my mom and sisters) who always keep a look-out for them for me too and they have really found some good ones. They most likely found those - I don't usually get that lucky.

Robin said...

I love these...where do I order cuz I GOTTA Have this!!!

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

Oh, these are so awesome!! I love your fill in stitches

RosaMarĂ­a said...

those patterns are really gorgeous!!

Melissa Crowe said...

That library makes me week in the knees, lady!

Kimberlee said...

I love those designs. they are so beautiful. I can't imagine counting threads that closly though.
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

keNi said...

i went to your shop to snag it and i was too late :( please say you'll have the booksmart patterns up again soon!! i love love love them!!

Amy said...

I wanted to link to your Books embroidery on the Powell's on Hawthorne facebook page but wanted to get your permission first. I could not find a link to contact you on your page, would it be ok for us to do this?
Thanks

fireblogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Corinne said...

I am so sorry I haven't been better about keeping this pattern in stock in my shop - it is there now, I promise :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SeptemberHouse

Amy a link would be great - thank you :D

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are so beautiful. All the detail, just gorgeous, I also love the whimsical touch. I'm marking it for one of my next projects!

Bailey (The Window Seat Reader) said...

i love these! i have a book review blog, and i'm featuring cool bookish craftiness... so if it's allright i'm including a pic and linking to your etsy from my site :)