Wednesday, April 20, 2011

trial and error

I'm feeling brave today and sharing what has turned out to be a somewhat frustrating exercise. I am attempting to learn how to do shisha embroidery. But, I am feeling very much like the old dog incapable of learning this new trick. 
These little samples are all that's left after so much tearing out and tossing away. They aren't perfect or even close (the poor yellow guy had to be abandoned after my mirror started to fall out!) but they are a start. Vince asked me why I am bothering and I said "because it's hard". Ever feel that way? It's not even THAT hard, it's just new is all. And, I must say, it feels good to stretch myself a bit and try something I haven't done before. I'm not sure what I will do with this skill either. It might show up in future projects and I do have some fun ideas but I have a long way to go before I feel confident enough to put something out there.
I considered posting a photo of the snow that's falling here today but decided against it for fear of losing readers - I mean who wants to see that, right? But Adam woke up today, looked out the window and said "Yay!! It's snowing!!" And he said it with that squeal in his voice that kids have when they see the first snow of the season. So, I'm keeping that happiness and enthusiasm in my head today and I swear I won't be grumpy about the weather!

4 comments:

Glenda said...

I don't know if you remember, but I had a go at shisha last fall and found it incredibly frustrating. Mostly because I do best with very visual instructions and I could only find written/drawn/photographed instructions -or- poorly-videod vidoes on YouTube. This is one stitch that would help me greatly if I could, in person, watch someone do it.

After hours of attempts and frustrations, I *did* sort of figure it out. But I didn't enjoy it, and haven't gone back to it yet. However, it's still towards the top of my crafting want-to-do list for this year.

I've seen such cool ideas of other things that can be done with shisha stitch -- Flickr user "Penny Nickels" shisha-stitched some seashells and it turned out so cool.

Re: the weather -- crazy that you all had snow, because we've been having 100-degree days & a serious amount of wildfires b/c of lack of rain. We have a chance of rain tonight, but with the rain comes lightning . . . which is what sparked the big wildfire near us a week and a half ago. So maybe we need snow instead of rain!!

Becka said...

I teach shisha to teens as one of our summer camp projects. Try putting some more "foundation" stitches in before you start the buttonhole or herringbone layer on top. You show 4 stitches (like a tic tac toe board) holding down the mirror in one of your photos. Try doing 2 more sets of stitches like that, but rotating them a bit. It will look like a spyrograph. Does that make sense? I think it is much easier to keep it even with more stitches to start.

Corinne said...

I agree Glenda - the resources for learning this seem a little bit sparse. Maybe we can talk Becka into doing an online tutorial - what do you say, Becka? :)
I WILL try the tip about adding more foundation stitches - I can see how that would really help. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

===Maybe we can talk Becka into doing an online tutorial - what do you say, Becka?===

I'd love for someone to pull off a very detailed photo tutorial -or- a video tutorial in which you can see the stitching being done up-close, with no glare off the mirror!

I'd not seen the herringbone stitch used as a tacking-down stitch -- it's quite pretty. I'll have to give that a try.

Glenda