Thursday, June 16, 2011

looking for a date?

Oh my gosh, I wasn't sure these would EVER make it to SeptemberHouse! But, they did arrive fashionably late this morning. What was the hold up you ask? Mostly indecision on my part. I also now have a stack of rejects at my house as a result of some long and drawn out trial and error.
So here is what is new this year: new fabric - a cotton linen blend rather than the quilting weight cotton. I love the way it hangs and it's really easy to embroider on and sew. Also I switched to just one size (14 x 18) rather than the two sizes this year. And finally there are three design options: the regular white, a light green with a leaf pattern and a light blue.
I stitched up Carina's pattern on the light blue and I was really happy with how it turned out. I cheated a little and veered away from the stitch guide so that I could try my hand at some different stitches on the circles. Or maybe I was trying to avoid satin stitching because, well, you know how I feel about satin stitching. You can see another example of a Polka and Bloom pattern stitched up on a calendar panel here. I saw it last year in my flickr group and was really wowed and inspired.
Here is one of the greens unstitched. I used a vintage owl pattern when I made my example and I have to be honest, this was not one of my favorite embroidery projects. Maybe it's the colors I chose but I just wasn't 100% happy with it when it was done even after a lot of tearing out and restitching.
And last but not least is a panel in white similar to the previous year's panel. This year I went with a sepia tone for the printing rather than grey - after much debating and hand wringing. Yes, these are the silly little decisions that cause me to lose sleep, can you believe it?

So, I'm moving on to a few other projects that are in the works including a new pattern set - yay!


Anonymous said...

Those are really pretty, Corinne. The designs on the green and the blue fabrics are fabulous -- makes the empty space at the top not quite so imposing! The font on the white fabric is fabulous. I'm not sure if I'll be stitching any calendars up this year, but if I do I can already tell it's going to be challenging to decide which panel to choose!!


CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [17 Jun 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Corinne said...

Thanks Glenda, I get intimidated by those big white spaces too so that really was part of my reasoning for for the blue and green options. Also I thought with so many embroidery patterns being designed to fit within a hoop or square space that the horizontal rectangle at the top of the previous year's panels was probably a little bit limiting. I am hoping people will find these to be a little more versatile. If you like them then I know I did something right :)

Jody McDowell said...

these are so great! i'm really loving the one with the leaf pattern!