Sunday, August 5, 2012

thoughts of olympic proportions

Are you watching them? You know, The Olympics?

I have been watching more than I thought I would which happens every time they roll around. I'm not a sports person - I mean I am really not a sports person so it always surprises me how much time I end up parked in front of the tv to see who wins whatever competition happens to be on at the time.

Here are some of my thoughts and observations so far:

* Gabby Douglas - sooooo cute!
* Have you ever seen anything more tragic than winning a silver medal?? Oh my gosh, the looks of disappointment in their faces! I swear it's like you are better off coming in last than getting that dreadful horrible silver. That seems weird to me but I haven't dedicated my life to a sport either so what do I know?
* Someone simply must re-design the headgear in water polo. I know it's a tough sport - so why do they have to look like ninnies?
* The royal family - you guys are great and I know you are having a moment and all but I'm a little royaled-out.
* While I adored the Google doodles for the 2010 Winter Games I have been less impressed with this year's illustrations. The synchronized swimming one today was pretty great though.
* And finally....I should really get in shape!

4 comments:

Erin M. said...

So your list of observations overlaps more than I would guess somebody else's would. I keep thinking that I wonder where my abs and biceps are when I see the "shape" of the athletes in competition. And I completely agree about the water polo caps, they do look awfully silly.
My sleep needs the Olympics to be over soon so I start going to bed at a reasonable time again!

Corinne said...

The sleep thing - yes! It's so easy to lose track of time when he games are on. :)

wrenandstitchy said...

I actually watched the entire opening ceremony for the first time in my life! It was pretty interesting seeing the difference in number of athletes from country to country. I watched some gymnastics, but not as much as I would have liked. I like watching diving and watched that more than any of the other water sports. Not much else catches my interest besides those two sports.

I'm with you re: the silver medal!! But then, I'm 46 not 16 and that gives a certain perspective to things ;-).

Unrelated: I'm rearranging my home office and found your letter, which I'd stashed in a safe place so I could respond to it. Oops! Now it's sitting out in the open so I don't forget to respond to it.

Glenda

Carolyn Sullivan said...

OH wow my thoughts exactly!!!!! I couldn't have said it better. There are also a lot of things that I didn't realize were olmypic sports like WIND SURFING??????

we should be sing a lot more of that GABBY GIRL! She was awesome, just not the stamina for all of that. she's young yet.