Friday, April 12, 2013

the wheels on the bus

Hi all, just got back from a morning field trip with Adam's preschool class (doubled up with the morning class as well - lemme tell ya - that's a whole lotta 4/5 year old right there!). We loaded the school bus and headed to the Firefighters Hall and Museum in Minneapolis. Most moms snapped up photos of their kids waving from the fire engine or sliding down the fireman's pole. Me, I got a photo of this guy. There is just something about mannequins, am I right? 

I've been on every side of kids' field trips in my time. I have worked somewhere where kids came for field trips. I have worked a job where I scheduled/arranged and went on field trips and I have been a mom on field trips with my boys. So, I have a fondness for this ritual and at the same time am always so glad when it's time to head home! I don't know how many more field trips are ahead for me but I suspect I'm on the last pages of this chapter so I want and need to soak up the experience while I still can. 

And while I do try to keep the focus of So September on my creative endeavors this kind of stuff is what I really spend most of my time doing. Field trips, laundry, helping with math homework, picking up, dropping off, laundry, dishes, arguing over bedtimes, play-dough, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, more get the idea. It doesn't always make for good blog-fodder but it really what I am up to most days. Glamorous? No. Would I trade it? Absolutely not! 


Library Gal Quilts said...

I loved those field trip days! It's been awhile but my girls still remember some that were absolutely crazy and fun. Now when I see a jiggly line of kids with a teacher in front and back and laughter bubbling up, I just feel so much happiness! Yep, the laundry will always be there!

Chrissie said...

My days are much the same - count ourselves lucky that we enjoy them and are still able to nurture our creative, crafty sides as well! I love the field trips, but earlier this year my eldest daughter's class went to London to visit the British Museum, and she is the age where she didn't want mommy coming along to chaperone anymore! After all those years at play zones and toddler farms, I was really looking forward to London... Chrissie x

Corinne said...

Yes, I just KNOW that one day, long after my field trip days are over, I'll spot a group of preschoolers and start sobbing with sentiment. :) I get a little teary just thinking about it to be honest. *sigh* I'm in trouble, aren't I?
And if one of my boys has a chance to go to London I think I just might have to stow away in their luggage or something! :D

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

It such a cliche, but enjoy it now 'cause that time goes by in a blink. My youngest just turned 18 so my days of field trips, being a taxi driver, scheduler keeper, homework monitor, cookie baker, school volunteer and more are long gone but I cherish them deeply. There were times when I thought it was too much work but I would do it again in a flash. My practically grown kids often tell stories about this field trip or that den meeting. We built memories and bonds that stood us in good stead through the teenage years and conveyed values to them by example, by being involved in their lives. We are blessed to have the privilege of time and energy to spend with and on our youngsters.

Sorry for the ramble - your post touched me.