Thursday, May 2, 2013

springtime babies are born

Mother and Baby Fox Embroidery Pattern
I've made my way back to So September finally and am happy to share a brand new embroidery pattern collection: Animal Babies. I had a list of "musts" for this set as I was putting it together and those guided my creative decisions throughout. First it had to be cute but not "cutesy," you know? There are five mother and baby combinations here including a fox, dog, cat, elephant and bear. 
kitten hand embroidery pattern
Narrowing down the animals was tough. There certainly is no shortage of cute animals in the animal kingdom so I tried to stop before this became an epic year-long process. Some contenders were left behind in the sketchbook but they may be birthed again one day in some way shape or form.
baby elephant hand embroidery pattern
Second, this set had to be simple. Clean lines, limited stitches, limited colors. I really wanted to create a pattern set that was friendly to beginners. A lot of people ask me what patterns would be best for someone just starting out and I remember as I started out myself, I needed designs that would allow me to practice the basic stitches but also give me an end product that would be satisfying and useful.
puppy hand embroidery pattern
That leads me to the next "must". I wanted to design something that could be used for handmade baby gifts and nursery decor. New babies have probably prompted more embroidery and sewing projects for me than any other event. Something about the sweetness and magnitude of that celebration makes me want to put a little bit of myself into a gift.

baby bear hand embroidery pattern

You know what part of this project I struggled with the most? What to call this set! I seriously lay awake some nights trying to come up with a clever name. In the end I just threw up my hands and called it "Animal Babies" (yawn- I know!) It (literally) is what it is though. Next time I'll come up with a name first and build the pattern set around that.

4 comments:

EmSewCrazy said...

This is a lovely collection. Thanks for sharing your direction and goals. I think this covered all the bases! Beautiful.

Never That Easy said...

I love them, and am heading to buy them right now. Simple, but gorgeous. Goals definitely achieved!

Corinne said...

Thank you!! :D

Anonymous said...

Your designs are so lovely!