Sunday, January 19, 2014

my initial reaction


One of the things I like about the dead winter (and there aren't many!) is the stretches of time you find yourself with. You can try out ideas that have been pushed to the back of your brain during more hectic months and you can explore new mediums and tools without feeling guilty about having other more pressing matters that you 'should be' tending to. I am trying to take advantage of that as much as I can in these dark weeks and one new thing that has come out of it are these new embroidered monograms.
Hand Embroidered Monogram with reverse applique by SeptemberHouse
 
These are made to fit in a five inch round hoop and have a happy mix of reverse applique and hand embroidery. They actually have a bot more of an art deco-y feel than I anticipated. I honestly didn't even realize it until I stepped back from them when they were complete.

Hand Embroidered Initials with floral motif by SeptemberHouse
These also gave me a chance to use one of my favorite fabrics: corduroy! I am really happy with the extra texture it gives these and the softness it adds as well. I think a lovely printed cotton - or even solid cotton - would work too so hopefully I will have a chance to try that out as well.
 
Aside from those there has been a lot of sketching, some really hideous pendant necklace designs - nearly all of which ended up in the trash can, some playtime with paperclay, and even a wee bit of sewing!
 
What have you been exploring this winter? (Or summer depending on where you are).

7 comments:

Hélène said...

I like very very much those embroideries. Their colors are well chosen, the fonts are great, I like all !

Sandra F. said...

They look fabulous! Love the corduroy effect.
Not much exploring going on here. Really need to sort through my unfinished projects pile...

Corinne said...

Thank you so much! This was something new for me which is both exciting and also a little scary. Your kind words are so encouraging! Thanks to you both!

Melissa Crowe said...

These are gorgeous--truly.

Corinne said...

Thank you Melissa - you are so sweet to me :)

EmSewCrazy said...

I like these a lot! Love the corduroy too!

Corinne said...

Thank You :D
!!!!!!!!