Monday, January 26, 2015

crafting confession january : papercutting

Papercutting project septemberhouse floral bird paper cut
I am sharing secrets today everyone so hang on tight, here I go. In some sort of crazed New Year whirlwind I got it in my head that in 2015 I should make an effort to try out some techniques and materials I have never used before but have always been drawn to. You know, that stuff you see on Pinterest and think, "wow, I'd really like to try that." How often do we actually try it though?  For me, it's not often - or, let's be honest, never.

tools for papercutting

BUT! I am making an effort this year and gave myself a list of 12 crafts to try - one for each month. I've been keeping this wild idea pretty hush-hush so far but I think I am committed enough to it now to share it here.

My goal is to just take a baby step - a small project - and just for fun - no pressure. I didn't want to invest in a lot of materials and I didn't want to spend so much time on it that I could not get shop or family work done. I hope I can continue on with this year-long goal because it is actually super fun. My first craft was Papercutting!
This is one of those artforms I have been attracted to since I first laid eyes on it. It seems to be gaining popularity so the opportunities to see beautiful papercut designs are everywhere. 

PaperCutting Design Bird

Perhaps because it is new to me (and I didn't know what I was doing) I ended up spending WAY more time getting my design ready than I did actually cutting it out. You really have to think it through as you draw to make sure you won't be accidentally removing entire areas when you are cutting. They have to interconnect somehow without looking awkward. I don't know if I achieved that but I went through so many more revisions than I thought I would to get to the final design.

Bird Design papercutting

Still, I would probably continue tweaking if the month was not coming to a close. Plus, a new craft is calling my name so if I am going to stick with this program I have to listen to that and be able to let go of the last month's project.

I loved stretching my brain a little to think about the images I make in a new way. Most of my work relies so heavily on line and papercuts focus more on shape so this was a great way to pull me out of my comfort zone a little. I still am deciding on background colors for this but it's fun to play around with it and test out different combinations. 

I look forward to sharing a new crafting experience in February - stay tuned!

No comments: