Friday, September 4, 2015

craft confession august - wouldn't you like to know


August's crafting adventure was one that I have wanted to try for years and I am thrilled to have had a chance to do it. There are no photos to share this time and I cannot even share too many details so you will need to use your imagination a bit. This project....is a secret.

This month I gave guerilla art a try. (sneaky grin). I have loved this concept since it was first brought to my attention way back in my post college/ pre-baby days. Keri Smith explains it brilliantly as this:
Guerilla art is a fun and insidious way of sharing your vision with the world. It is a method of art making which entails leaving anonymous art pieces in public places. It can be done for a variety of reasons, to make a statement, to share your ideas, to send out good karma, or just for fun. My current fascination with it stems from a belief in the importance of making art without attachment to the outcome. To do something that has nothing to do with making money, or listening to the ego.
You would think with the freedom of anonymity one wouldn't worry quite as much about the appearance of whatever it is one decides to make. But that was not the case and I worried quite a bit about it. But I powered through my doubts and ended up with several nice little bits that I could distribute all over the city/cities.

Actually I am still in the distribution process - I am not used to being 'sneaky' and it turns out I am pretty slow - and I am probably thinking about it too much. Hopefully what has been put out there so far has been found by someone who needed a happy surprise right at that moment they found it. Of course I realize there is a good chance that these bits may make their way to the bottom of a trash can and that's okay. You have to accept that once your art leaves your hands you cannot control what happens to it.

It's so rewarding to watch creative projects move from my 'want to do' list to my 'did' list and it confirms my suspicion that this year-long crafting confession undertaking would be worth the effort and dedication. There are still 4 more installments to go and I am looking forward to sharing them all with you.

This month I hope that some unexpected delight will find YOU out there in the great big world.

No comments: