Friday, December 18, 2015

2015 favorites flashback


It doesn't seem possible that the time has come to look back on another full year that has passed but here we are. I wanted to take a little time to share some favorite from the past twelve months and invite you to share some of your in the comments section too. It has been fun to do this each year and I hope you will enjoy it as well!

I usually start with favorite books so that's where I will begin this year. My favorite fiction read this year was by the same author who wrote my favorite fiction read last year - Anthony Marra. His newest book, The Tsar of Love and Techno wins that top spot again because it was such an extreme pleasure to read. He has a way of creating such compelling characters - giving them heart and humor and impossible situations. There is a lot of darkness and a lot of light in his books and you can bet I will be reading anything and everything Anthony Marra writes from here on out.

Other great reads of the year were Want Not by Johnathan Miles, Redeployment by Phil Klay and the Jaguar's Children by John Vaillant. I am suddenly feeling so very lucky to have had the chance to read so many great books in the past year! You can find what I am reading and share what you are reading with me over on Goodreads (love that place!)

On the big and the little screen I am at a bit of a loss. I am trying to remember what I saw in the theaters in 2015 and all I can come up with is the Spongebob Squarepants movie. *sigh* It's been easier to wait a few months and catch movies at home so I have been luckier that way. I just sat down and watched "Amy" and really enjoyed that. I am a big Amy Winehouse fan so it was facinating to me to see some 'behind the scenes' type footage. Even people who aren't fans of her music would probably still find her story intriguing.

In tv land my husband and I finally caught up with the rest of the world and watched "Breaking Bad." this Fall. Okay guys - I see what all the hype was about - that is a fantastic series! I was so sad when we reached the end. Even though we missed all the water cooler conversation way back when this series aired, there is some advantage to being able to watch it all at once and for free (thanks St. Paul Public Library!)

My favorite new place I visited in 2015 was Fraconia Sculpture Park. We actually happened upon it by accident and decided to take a closer look. Their website the park as this:
Located in the scenic St. Croix River Valley, Franconia Sculpture Park is a nonprofit arts organization operating a 43-acre outdoor sculpture park, active artist residency, and community arts programming.
We all enjoyed our time exploring there so much and it's an ideal way to experience sculpture. If I can expose my kids to art and watch them have a blast at the same time that is a win-win in my book.

What were your favorites from the last year? And what will you be seeking out in the coming year? Leave a comment and share your 2015 discoveries!


No comments: