Friday, January 15, 2016

confessions from a crafty year

DIY Crafts SeptemberHouse

You can read about each of these on my blog: Papercutting, Beadweaving, Stamp CarvingSewingPolymer ClayHand LetteringConcrete CastingGuerilla ArtMicro MacrameNeedlepointPhoto Editing

As I close out my year of Craft Confessions I thought I would take a moment to look back those twelve months and also let you in on some craft confession secrets.

1. Why call this series "Craft Confessions"? 
From the beginning I thought I probably needed a catchy name for this project. In order to make time for these 'extra' projects I knew I was going to have to carve out some of my SeptemberHouse time. It would mean setting embroidery aside for a few hours each month and to me it felt like I was cheating on my partner somehow. Maybe it shouldn't feel that way but it did - it was something I had not allowed myself to do for a very long time. And I am trusting you not to tell embroidery about this - got it?

2. How were projects chosen for each month?
When the idea for this series first occurred to me I actually sat down and made a schedule for what crafts I would try each month. Plus I also made a list of alternatives in case I changed my mind about one when it came time to do it. Here is the truth though - I actually only ended up following my list TWO out of the twelve months! The other months I switched things around or picked new crafts altogether.

3. Which crafts did not make it into the series?
I am not saying that I don't want to try these projects - they just didn't quite make it in 2015 even though I hoped to get to them. They are: weaving, fabric dyeing, quilling, woodworking, homemade soaps/lotion/lip balm, cake decorating. I mean, those all sound like fun don't they? You can see how it can be difficult to decide and to make time for everything you want to try.

4. Which projects were your favorite and least favorite?
This is tough. I ended up using the stamps I carved a LOT so that one wins for most useful (and it was really fun). The one that makes me the happiest was the guerrilla art project (which is actually still going on). That was the one that is probably closest to my heart. One that I plan to revisit is the concrete casting from July - I still have tons of ideas for that one!
The two that make me cringe when I see them are the beadweaving from February - even though I really think I could get that one right if I tried it again - and also the hand lettering project. The hand lettering project was one of the more time consuming projects as well so it's frustrating that it is also one that I am least happy with. It's just really hard to get it right and that's all there is to it.

The crafting confession series was a great way for me to make connections here on So September and I hope to explore some new ways to do that in the coming year and I am looking forward to that. I thank you so very much for following along in 2015 and for joining me for all that comes in 2016!

Did you take on any new crafts in 2015? Leave a comment and share your 'confession'!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

oh no, i'm really disappointed I missed this! I have only just found your blog today! I have favourite crafts that I do time and again - embroidery, sewing, crochet, jewellery making, but I'm forever trying new crafts and new techniques, I love the learning aspect of it.