Tuesday, January 12, 2016

craft confession December - photo editing

I realize we are nearly to the mid-way point of January so a post about my December craft confession is indeed late (and do we need to even mention the absence of a craft confession for November?) 
before
after
November was all about the ornaments and extra crafting became one of those things (like housework) that had to be sadly abandoned for a while. Once that whirlwind passed the idea of making something with my two tired hands just did not appeal. But hopping back on the computer suddenly sounded very appealing so that's what I did.
before

after
I decided that since I had paid for Adobe Lightroom almost a year ago, I should, oh I don't know... maybe actually download it, install it and open it up? Crazy idea, isn't it? I have used Adobe Photoshop for years and am still kind of a 'surface scratcher' with it. I know it's capable of so much more if I would just take the time to figure it out. And I definitely want to do that! I at least know enough about Photoshop to feel like Lightroom might be something I could navigate my way through.
before
after
I was curious about how Lightroom was different from Photoshop. You can make some of the same changes and adjustments in both but the format felt very different to me. What I did learn I learned by pouring myself some coffee and plunking down in front of a long list of tutorials on YouTube and it really was enough to get me started down the Lightroom path. The best way to make what you see on YouTube stick is to dive in and try it for yourself so that was what I did next.

before

after
So I loaded up some photos from the last year or so and started to play around with them and see what I could do. I would like to take a moment to re-emphasize the word "play" here. These are amateur efforts intended to help me figure out where all the buttons are and how they work. And it was really fun to see the changes you can make. Adam came over and watched for a minute or two and then scurried off to get his camera. Not five minutes later he was thrusting the camera in my hands and insisting/demanding that HE be able to edit his newly-taken photos. Even he could see the potential here. 

There are lots of different software applications for editing photos obviously so if it's something that you have always wanted to try, give it a go. It's a pretty forgiving hobby (just always keep your original files of course) and there is always that handy 'undo' option that I love, so you really can't go wrong with this. (Now if only every craft had an 'undo' button!)

Missing one month of my Craft Confession series is disappointing to me but on the other hand, I wasn't sure when I started, if I would make it to month three so I am going to try to not be too hard on myself.

My plan is to post a little mini-wrap up of my craft confession series in the coming week! Thanks for following along in this creative adventure!

No comments: